Sunday, November 22, 2009

IN GOD WE TRUST GOD OR ...BENJAMIN FRANKLIN?

Surprise! A couple of weeks ago, quite by accident, we found ourselves completely trusting God; you see our Mexican insurance agency we had used for years went belly-up and didn't let us know our seven vehicles had no insurance while driving in Mexico. Of course that left us entirely dependant on God; not just for one day but over a week! Wow!

Speak about risk!

What a situation to find yourself in ... completely trusting Almighty God!

In fact, for a few days, we were 'gambling' on God's promised provision and safety. On one occasion I was late going to Mexico and didn't pull in for a day's insurance and Glory be; wouldn't you know; I had another day of safe driving!

On another occasion, years ago, our own American 'Christian' insurance company in which we trusted and which we had invested in for many years proved unreliable. After a small incident in Mexico we found we weren't covered and had never been covered while in Mexico ... (in medical areas or damaged vehicles). Misguided trust and a lot of money poured down a bottomless hole. Can't beat those 'Christian Insurance Agencies' and how they play "Gotcha!" Indeed the Devil is in the small print! Lesson: read before signing.

Unknown to us, we were depending on God; we truly had no 'Christian' insurance agency backing us. Incidentally, a 'Christian Insurance Agency' sounds more like an oxymoron or perhaps a religious 'ponzi' scheme.

On one hand, our Christian brothers and sisters say we aren't acting 'responsibly' if we don't have secular insurance coverage ... On the other hand, Almighty God says "trust Me." Somewhere I've heard said: In God we Trust. I can also mention a few great hymns I've sung that focused on trusting God!

Rather confusing.

Admittedly I have a tendency to trust more in a secular hero like Benjamin Franklin and his common sense approach than in God. "God helps those who help themselves ... " Now that resonates with the secular me.

Maybe it's a combination of both.

With me; at least it's an honest struggle.

I must admit as I look in the mirror I still have too much hypocrisy in me.

Sorry God! ... Oh, and thanks for the many times you've protected me despite my 'secular insurance coverage.'