Wednesday, June 09, 2010

THE SILENT MINORITY

Some years ago I was in LaPaz Bolivia holding some Bible studies for Christian English speaking teens and bilingual Bolivians. Most of the kids in the room were Christians. It was a Friday night and I was concluding the series. The large room in which we were gathered was full and most of the kids were seated while some were standing against the wall. I was comfortably seated in an easy chair near the corner of the room.

At the conclusion of my message, I asked the group if there were any questions or comments. One older teen, a Bolivian kid, stood up and slowly looked around the room making eye contact with each person. He was a newcomer I had never seen before ... I thought, "This should be interesting." and it was.

He addressed the room full of Christians in good English. "How many of you believe the garbage this guy's been telling us tonight?" (I knew pretty well where I fit in his opinion.) "Let's see the hands of you guys who believe this stuff." There was a painful silence; everyone dropped their eyes. A few slowly raised their hands about halfway but none looked him in the eye.

I was witnessing the truth about so many professing Christians. This one young enthusiastic Communist was challenging the whole room full of "Christians" ... and not one person countered him.

When I dismissed the group, I went over to the young Communist, shook his hand and said the following. "As you know, you and I differ on our philosophies, but may I commend you on your courage! You have more courage in your little finger than this whole room full of so called Christians."

As I see it, things haven't changed much even in the USA. Where is our example? Where is our distinction? Where is our commitment? Where is our courage?

Maybe we should take some lessons from the Muslims. They have a cause; they are not only willing to live for their god, but they are willing to die for him too!

The Muslims make us Christians look like what we really are ... lukewarm, weak and silent ... so silent!