Wednesday, December 15, 2010

SOMEWHERE ON A DARK CORNER

I was in my car tonight waiting to turn right at the corner; ready to merge onto the busy boulevard. I looked to my left, then to my right and to my left again; judging the speed and space of the oncoming traffic. Then again to my left and quickly made my right-turn. As I was turning, I glanced to my right and saw this man standing on the edge of the corner. I swear I didn't see him. I could have hit him he was so close. I continued on down the road re-thinking the incident.

It's funny what a glance can tell you.

Here was a tall slender man in baggy clothing with disheveled hair staring straight ahead.

A person of the street ... quietly playing out the pain of his consequences.

One of the many invisible people; people you don't look at, you look through. This man, like thousands of others, was lost; alone; unloved. A man who's lost his very being. He's lost his direction, his dignity, even his manhood.

Living, yet dead from the inside out.

I wondered how God saw him ... and then I wondered how God saw me.

But for what reason do I, as a Christian, exist, but to meet the man on the corner.