Saturday, February 25, 2012

THE BIG PIG RACE!


The kids like me because I have novel ideas; "Lets have a pig race!" I yelled, "winner gets $2!!!"

"Yeah!!!" the kids yelled back.

So yesterday we had the big pig race for the kids at Tribe of Jesus orphanage. Oh, we've had races before only we had been using a fast little dog ... she was white and loved to race, well she's a mother now and has lost her zeal for running ... and if she did run we would have to get her an eight-way bra, if you know what I mean.

Fortunately the orphanage has several pigs so, well, lets try a pig. The first little pig they chose was a squealer and sort of retarded. He just stopped and let himself be caught ... that wouldn't do; so we chose a bigger and faster pig.

The kids set the squealing pig down on the dirt, gave it a spank and let it go ... and go it did ... right out the orphanage gate and up the dirt road (squealing with joy), with thirty kids trailing behind trying to grab it! For the one who could catch it, two dollars! The promise of $2 for the winner was like an after-burner, producing a great deal of speed on the kid's part.

Well, the pig ran and the kids ran, and the pig ran and the kids kept running and ... unfortunately the pig won by a large margin! In fact I don't know where the thing is by now, maybe Ensanada or somewhere in south Baja California. Who knows maybe by now he's smushed in guacamole between a hundred tortillas.

I wonder if pigs have a homing instinct? Tomorrow I guess I'll have to buy a whole pig.

Pig chases are out for the time being.