Tuesday, April 27, 2010

THE DEADLY DISEASE OF HATE

Working years in the dark recesses of society where the criminal is formed; I've had the dubious privilege of being privy to the birth and creation of criminals. Future social misfits, future social predators. Don't kid yourself, the future hard core criminal begins at a very young age. I've watched the young criminals at play, and studied them as they traveled through puberty and then went on to become adults and later become inmates. I've been able to gain a confidence and a relationship with many even though I don't agree with what their doing. We have many criminals here in Mexico and millions more on the way. A child born into a purposeless and loveless liberty will find his way into crime and destruction. Drugs will make wrong worth the risk. In most cases an absent or dysfunctional father seals the young criminal's direction ... and destiny.

Take little good looking Alex at seven.

I remember, some months ago, at the end of the work day in Pana, we were sitting on a bench in the shower room. Martha had brought in her little four-year-old daughter Juana, pointing out some sores on her legs. I was rubbing some cream on the sores she had shown me. Alex, her seven-year-old son, was standing there watching me.

In casual conversation I asked Martha where her husband worked. At that she threw up her arms and said, "That man! That beast! He's gone ... look at what he's done to me," and she showed me scars on her arms and legs. Then she said to little Alex, "He beats me doesn't he? He gets drunk and hurts me!" Alex looked over at me with a slight smile and hit me, not hard. Then his countenance seemed to change and he hit me again harder. Then, in an uncontrollable rage, he began seriously beating me. His mother started yelling at him to stop, but it did no good. I quickly grabbed his wrists and held them tightly together. Looking in his eyes, I shook him! "Look at me Alex," I said quietly. "Calm down!—Calm down!"—"Calm down." I continued holding him. In about a minute he calmed down.

Little Alex isn't the only boy hating his father, he isn't the only boy who is loaded with a deep, explosive anger. He hates the very person he will grow up to be. Alex hates men because the men that he has seen are angry, worthless drunks who beat their wives, girl friends and kids. Where and when is the next time Alex is going to unload this anger? ... and on whom?