Thursday, August 09, 2012

INTELLECTUALLY DISROBED!


Some years ago I was invited to speak at a well known Christian Bible School and College in Minnesota. At that time I was a popular West coast youth director and speaker and they asked me to speak for their Spiritual Emphasis Week.

The opportunity was fine with me, so I packed my bags and flew up prepared for a week of speaking.

When I arrived, the school faculty prepared a little informal get together to make me feel at home. Good coffee and Swedish pastry. Good Christian fellowship as I learned about the school. Then the conversation took a turn for the worse ... the faculty started talking about where they were educated and some of them mentioned their degrees. Oh boy!

I almost dropped my pastry!

I sat there feeling intellectually disrobed and academically alone! Hey, I just made it through High School ... in the California school system! I wasn’t even in the Boy Scouts!

I thought, ‘Boy this is going to be interesting!’ Here they fly me all the way up to speak at their Spiritual Emphasis Week only to find I’m not academically qualified.

Then I relaxed; remembering God can even speak through a donkey if he’s available.

I quickly shared my academic achievement ... the subject abruptly changed.

The rest of the week went powerfully smooth!