Thursday, April 05, 2012

THE DIFFERENCE A DOLLAR MAKES


There are no street lights where we work in the canyons of the poor. After our activities last night, I was slowly driving the dirt road winding up the canyon, heading home. My lights caught two boys along the road walking home, I flashed my lights and stopped, the two boys came over to my car.

I asked them how they liked the program, Daniel said he won a dollar. Then I asked Pablo if he won anything. He smiled and said "I won a dollar too" "Pablo", I asked. "What are you going to do with your dollar?" Most kids will reply, "I'm going to the store end buy Pepitos (little bag of potato-chips with chili) Teens are always hungry.

When I asked Pablo what he was going to do with his dollar ... without hesitation, he said "Give it to my mom".

"Give it to your mother?" I replied. "Why are you giving it to your mom"? His answer was simple ... "Because we need food!"

It was just matter of fact. Pablo, at 12, realizes the facts of life.

I can't imagine a conversation like that, a mile north in the USA.

Boy the difference a fence makes. Things change when you and your family get real hungry. And honestly, many in Tijuana are real hungry!

Pablo started to leave, I called him back ... and did what you would have done, I reached in my pocket and pulled out a few more dollars and gave them to Pablo ..."Give these to your mom too.