Wednesday, April 11, 2012

CHECKING IT OUT



I guess it's sort of an "our" thing. As I drove my new (used) Xterra SUV into Barrio Pedregal the kids had to check it out. Some were visibly disappointed as they hoped I would get a Hummer or red Jeep.

I've only driven Mexico a week now, and everywhere, the kids want to check out the "new" car. Comments and advice flow ... "no dents in this one!" "Why didn't you get a red one?" "von, You need to change tires." "Sure is clean inside!"

The car is newer by 38,000 miles! And clean!

When you have a close family of several hundred kids, they all have their ideas. I'll admit they take good care of me ... if I slump and my belly sticks out, there is someone who will remind me by patting my belly. Up and down make-shift stairs or tire stairs, there will be one or two kids there to "help" me. They'll even get me coffee. I feel like a Saint!

Well, thanks to many of you, I now have my car, and it's paid for. The State is happy because I've paid the taxes. The Insurance company is happy because I have new insurance. The border bureaucracy is happy because I paid for a special pass to return in the fast lane ... and the kids are happy because I'm back.

The crash and roll-over is past. Evidently God wanted me stay in ministry a little longer. Feels like I'm starting over.

By way of updates. Maribel is awaiting her critical and major heart surgery set for November. Little six "sixty" year old Eleas is in the hospital, in a pretty weak condition. Six year old Elizabeth has had the tumor removed from her mouth and now we are waiting to see if it was cancerous. The staff in our orphanages are happy because the kids go back to school next week!