Thursday, June 04, 2009

SOLOMAN RENAMES MONOPOLY

As a kid I remember spending hours playing the game of Monopoly with my friends. I don't know which family bought the game, I do know that we were too poor to buy the game. Monopoly, for this poor boy, was fun and addictive. If the dice rolled right and I made the right decisions, I became rich! I remember well the day I was the wealthiest man on the board. I had my fist full of money ... Monopoly money! Then the game ended and reality set in. Instantly the money I had, returned to the worthless paper it always was.

I left the game as poor as I entered.

Monopoly is a lot like the game of life isn't it? Chance and paper in the right combination brings out the greed and makes for the illusion of wealth.

In another sense I wonder if God isn't viewing us from a similar perspective in our pursuit of money and all it can buy. The quest for the good life ... the American dream!

Solomon was honest with us when he called the game "folly."

God calls, our time is up, the games over. We leave just as we entered, with nothing ... and not that much smarter!

Life must be more than a divine roll of the dice.

When man takes God out of the equation, life becomes a meaningless game ... but with terrible consequences.

No comments: