Monday, September 20, 2010

THE 99-CENT STORE

Back then, I mean way back then; my sister and I used to save our pennies, nickels and dimes in our little piggy banks. (As Gentiles I guess piggy banks were O.K; the Jews don't have piggy banks. They just aren't Kosher!)

How often I would take my nickel and dime to "Woolworth's Five & Dime". You could buy some neat stuff for a dime or even five cents. Everything us poor boy's wanted but couldn't afford. I remember wiping my little eyes across the counter scanning all the good stuff!

Everything in Woolworth's was "made in Japan" ... or "Made in USA!"



In a matter of years it seems that Woolworth's has morphed into today's popular 99-cent store! (Pardon me while I search for the 'cent' key on my keyboard! Dang! It's not here anymore!) The 99-cent store; one of China's greatest contributions to America; a big store where you could buy a variety of colorful stuff for under a dollar. Wow!

Not can but could ... note past tense.

I've noticed a subtle change creep in to the 99-cent stores. Have you noticed it too? They've added two words! ... "and UP!"

99-cents and up! (read that small print.)

Those paper dollars again ... floating up, just beyond our grasp!

I can't help but wonder how long It's going to be before we no longer find the $ sign on our keyboards?

Oh! And how long will it be before we have "99-Dollar" stores. Everything in the whole store for under a hundred dollars?

I think they call it inflation!

Don't laugh, it could happen.

China, keep up the good work; we'd be dead without you.