Sunday, April 21, 2013

LINK IN A CHAIN


Dear Pastor von,

I'm heading out to work, so I'll be short.

Words cannot express the gratitude we feel as we are reminded of how you opened God's Word to us when we were young.

The excitement has never diminished, even though many years have passed.

Even this morning, one of our grandchildren said to me "Poppy, I want to have God in my heart." She folded her little hands and said "dear Jesus ... please come into my heart."

 ... It was so thrilling to have been there.

You are a very important link in the chain of Faith in our family.

God Bless you Pastor von, Rob and Carol Van Horn.

My reply:

Early in life I made a decision to cancel out of the traditional life of marriage, kids and family and dedicate my life, and time, to God's work. I figured I could do this better being single. Looking back, I don't think I've made a mistake, even though at 83, I have no family as such, and in that sense, I look forward to a rather lonely future. Out-living many of my peers produces a strange sort of lonely feeling too. (Being this old is new to me.)

Letters and notes like this are a real encouragement, and remind me that I'm actually not alone; I'm indeed part of a larger family. A spiritual father to some, even grandfather to others. What a privilege to be "a link in a chain of faith" in a family's life. A sweet letter indeed.

Thanks Rob and Carol! You didn't just make my day, you made my whole week!