Thursday, January 15, 2015

GRATITUDE


It's so easy to take blessings for granted; often we forget that blessings come in different sizes and shapes; often at odd times. Gratitude isn't just a word it's an attitude ... a feeling. A good and healthy feeling.

Because our ministry is that of giving, on most occasions we receive a gracious response. Hundreds of people, large and small, show their appreciation for our help. On most occasions it's a smile and gracias, and that's sufficient. The people, even little people show their gratitude.

More than once I caught a "bug" working in Mexico. Now that I'm older these "bugs" are easier to get and harder to shake. My latest was a chest cough; when I start coughing it sounded bad and looked worse. At an orphanage one night I had a coughing attack. Suddenly the kids got a chair, pulled me towards it, and sat me on it, other kids were patting me on the back. Eight pairs of eyes intently looking at my face ... a sudden response, a loving response, from kids who love me. Gratitude in a different form. I can still feel those little pats on my back.

On other occasions, I might add, many occasions, we know we hit the Divine moment of need when we slip a little financial help in the hands of a lady and suddenly there is an emotional breakdown ... a river of tears and a tight hug! Gracias! Gracias!! And the story flows out of how the unknown need was met by our gift. In most cases Hortensia is the one who gets the tears and hugs.

But she's not alone.

I remember late one afternoon driving back from a visit to Ijido, a rather isolated community ... a cold and muddy barrio of poor people living in shacks. As I was driving home, I saw Jose up the road, slowly riding toward me on his muddy bike. I pulled over to say "Hi," and in our short conversation I felt led to slip him a ten dollar bill ... he held it. Looked at it, and looked up at me ... then the tears started flowing and the story followed. He hadn't gotten paid and there was no food in his house. Gracias! Gracias!! Hermano von! Another Divine moment. One in many, many other moments.

These are moments I can't capture by film. I don't take pictures of sacred moments like this. Filming true gratitude is sort of tricky and can look canned.

Forgive me for not taking more time to let you all know how appreciative the poor are for your financial help.

Translated: Kids medical emergencies and prescriptions, transportation to hospital, the times of no-food or no drinking water, no school shoes or books, leaking roofs, etc.

Thank you so much.