Friday, May 06, 2016

CANNED GOODS?


In the good old days people would stock me up with out of date canned goods to take to our Mexican people. In those days canned food was a hard sell! The truth was, that Mexicans didn't really like our canned food. Canned Boston baked beans? Sweet beans? Take 'em back to Boston. "We like our pinto beans with hot sauce". Sweet potatoes, yams, string beans, American made tamales?  Keep them in the USA.

What got me thinking about this was Hortensia's trip to Barrio Pedrigal last night. I phoned to wish her a Happy Easter, even though Easter was mostly over. "Are you home?" I asked her".  "No," she replied. "I'm on my way to Pedrigal with a load of canned food. Two families with a lot of kids gave me a call ... they are out of food."

Today it's much different! Today the people are truly hungry! Food is their priority! We go to a family with canned food and while mom is thanking us, the kids are opening the cans and eating the food cold. American food isn't the greatest, but it's a lot better than no food. (This has actually happened.)

Still ... buying our food in Mexico is smart! The dropping peso to dollar ratio gives us a big advantage ... more bang for the "buck"!

Thanks for helping the truly hungry fill their plates.