Saturday, July 12, 2014

THE G. F. WORD


Early in my years I became aware of abuses within our nation's General Fund. Sleazy politicians in our Federal Government taking funds designated for Social Security and using them in other areas. Since then I found the practice to be common, not only in our Federal Government, but in Sacramento and even in good old San Diego. Once it's in the fund what the money went for is anybody's guess. Political-Integrity is a misnomer!

It's true that Churches and non-profit organizations have similar problems. Innocent and concerned donors can be misled! Good hearted people burned. Abuses can be conveniently hidden in the General Fund.

That's why many Donors make specific designations and/or put their gifts toward a specific project.

Running Spectrum, a non-profit organization, opened my eyes. The Board and I had to be careful that we maintain our integrity and not abuse our General Fund.

The General Fund or what we may call "Overhead" despite its bad name is an essential part of any organization ... simply an "enabler," as essential as oil is to an engine.

When I started Spectrum. My rather naive and cynical eyes were opened! I too had to have a General Fund, Spectrum had overhead costs. Gas for the vehicles, electric bill, telephone bills, Internet, stamps and printing; the director has to have a salary (Although I can't take one now ... try and live in San Diego on only Social Security!) Yes, even now, we have Overhead so we have a General Fund.

In our particular ministry in Mexico we have to have cash available where lives like Maribel and Fernando are at stake we had to move quickly! We always need a pool of several thousand dollars. Remember, when I write of a real and immediate need, it may take days or weeks for the finances to come in ... all of these needs must be paid in cash up front! They can't be paid by faith, they must be paid by dollars.

Indeed the General Fund can be an instrument of abuse or an instrument implementing true ministry. It all depends on the integrity of the one who holds the purse-strings.

Photo: I'm often invited into a home to eat.