Tuesday, July 15, 2014

VON'S RODENT MINISTRY


I remember some years ago, at a men's Prayer Breakfast we had at our Church. One of our Deacons was talking with me and the subject of my efforts to feed the poor in Tijuana came up. He said to me with a wry smile “ Why do you feed those guys over there? They're just like a bunch of rats, they'll just breed and multiply!” A spiritual leader of our Church sharing that opinion. He shocked me.

Up until that time I had no idea that some people thought I had a ministry to flea bitten rodents.

Mr. Deacon, your right; breed and multiply they do, but animals they're not! They're not rats! I don't feed rodents!

Although no one has made that statement to me since, I sometimes quietly wonder how many people, even Christians, feel efforts like mine are a waste of time and money, maybe that's why givers to our ministry are hard to find.

I also wonder why the poor have so many kids! There are reasons, yet I must remember that's not my business! And the many children they bring into their wretched world? The kids didn't have any say in the matter ... it's not their fault.

I don't enter my world to judge or condemn. My mandate from our Lord is to help. I'm to show compassion. I'm to give. I'm called to love the unloved, the unlovely and the unlovable.

I sincerely hope and pray that our small team of like minded Christians will grow so we can reach more that are caught in this dark hole.