Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I WAS WRONG ALL ALONG!

I've taught and directed Sunday School's in the USA for many years. I liked the teaching end. Give me a class of seventh and eighth grad boys. I like the challenge! Most of these mid school guys are not coming to the class because they want to know about the Bible or Jesus. Get Real!

Kids come for a variety of reasons. Some come with their parents, others that may have discovered girls, and there are sort of girls to see and meet. Meeting with a small group of classroom boy friends. Social activities and food are a big draw. And some actually like the teacher.

My class of guys was always full, I always had a lot of weekday activity and outings.

I had such a special Sunday School class that Christian Education Directors and College educated Youth Workers would pop in to see how I did it.

The door opened up and none of my kids gave our visitors a second look, they were too busy checking the Scriptures to check my message. It did look good! And they were impressed.

You see, that week I was having a contest, with the winners getting a free frosty.

At the start of the lesson I reminded the class that as I taught the lesson I was going to tell a big fat lie, and that they actually would believe it. If they caught me, it was a free frosty.

I remember that day I taught about Jonah and how he ran from God's call. Most of my kids never caught on, when, in that story emphasized the miracle of Jonah swallowing the whale and that many never believe that miracle ... Can God do anything? I had them raise their hands. I was so convincing that morning that only three caught the lie and were rewarded!

My class had no idea what I was going to teach next week. But they were there to listen, I was into tricks and object lessons, whatever worked to sell a concept.

I remembered a big shot coming in from Chicago to evaluate our West Coast Sunday School of around 400, which was good for a small church of 300. He had a briefcase and a small black hat.

Alas, we got a very poor evaluation!

"In fact he said to me" I don't know were these kids are coming from, but I do know you're doing it all wrong.



I may have done it wrong ... but what a thrill it is visit many of these kids, now adults, that I used to teach in Sunday School as kids who became missionaries in tribes in Africa, Indonesia, Philippines, and countries in South America.

I have some of the weirdest grandchildren.