Friday, October 24, 2014

A COMMUNITY OF THE WORTHLESS

Caution this Blog may contain uncomfortable reading!



Yesterday I visited Chuy's old folks home in Tijuana. Another strata of worthless people no one wants to invest in. Who in his right mind would invest in the aged? A community of more than 140 old and worthless people simply awaiting their turn to die. These are old and sick people; problem people even other Old Folks Homes rejected! One by one Chuy takes them in. Each one has their story. Unfortunately, for many, there is no light at the end of their tunnel.



Being 85 myself gives me, may I say, a weird and uncomfortable feeling interacting with these people that are awaiting the end. A gentle reminder that my time is getting short too and that I need to do what I can while I can.

Along with the poor barrios and orphanages we've been quietly supporting this community too. Not many do.

I feel the Lord considers these people worthy of investing. I don't just feel it I know it.



The old folks home which Pastor Chuy started many years ago keeps growing although the monthly death rate is high. The home is run by a few volunteers, no Government help (Not unusual) He just trusts God. It's clean and neat; unfortunately he needs more rooms. He would like to buy the property next door to put a Church up. You have to hand it to the man, he's got vision; as with most of us, his vision is slightly ahead of his funding.

I'm really impressed with some of the invisible ministries in Tijuana. Many are Christian (but where is the church??) Volunteers work simply for room and board. The environments are ugly, smelly and full of pain. Again, no Government help.

Many won't be comfortable with a Blog like this but, really ... how long can Christians turn their eyes and pocketbook away from the needy?