Tuesday, October 14, 2014

PUBLIC PRAYER



A very wise man once said "there is a time for everything" and with permission I'll include public prayer. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8) I was going to end my comments with that; but why not start my short essay with that knowledge. (1) public prayer with Christians. (2) Public prayer, as in front of non-believers.

I've lived in this world for 85 years, and lived in the Church and "Christian" world for almost 75 of those years. That's a long time! As far as "Christian" public prayers go I can honestly say I have heard many thousands of prayers. We used to have Prayer Meetings each week, so that doubled my exposure to Christians praying, or in a few cases "braying".


  1. Praying before the Believers: Too often the prayers I heard were shallow; simply announcements or news bulletins in a prayer form, most prayers were long and exhaustive. "Lord we know Saturday's prayer breakfast starts at eight, help everyone get there on time!" Some were even prayer covered criticism of others or maybe a worldly activity. "God bless Thelma, you know she's too fat, but help her to lose weight!" ... "Another bad movie is coming next week, Lord burn the movie-house down! Or prayer for critical issues like ... "Father bless my cousin Roger and his dear family as they head to Hawaii on a cruse next week." "Oh Lord convict my wife for her critical tongue!" On and on I could go. I guess these brothers and sisters were searching wildly for something to pray about. Or in a few cases bray about. Wow! When the person next to you finishes praying, super pressure, you're on next!! (Not criticizing, just telling the truth!) Many Churches are dropping their Prayer Meetings. Why? Well, to be honest, they have nothing to pray about. Why shouldn't I question public prayer in Church? At my age I have the right to do some truthful questioning. I certainly won't knock Church prayer meetings, after all it was a Spirit filled Prayer Meeting that gave birth to The Church! ... it's just immature individuals and leaders acting out their immaturity in a public prayer format. Give them time.
  2. Praying before the unsaved ... or the "world!" The first thing I ask is; what's the motive? What's the point? Think it over. To give a Christian witness? Is God really calling you to do that? Why do publicly what you could do at home ... powerful honest prayer. Oh, I see! Corporate, witness. Making a together a more powerful show. We are Christians ... look you can see us, and we're praying together ... for all of you damn sinners! I've even heard of a parade of Christians showing their Christianity by parading down the street. Doing a parade for God! Wow! How sick; although its much easier to do that than live the Christian life 24/7 The honest question to ask is simple what do the people watching you think? Isn't that the point? That's the bottom line.

If we are trying to reach them? Why alienate them?

Stupid if you ask me. If we were in a Muslim culture, (Indonesia) we would be fools to pray as a group publicly! We would be culturally wrong. Sincere leaders, eager but immature, who don't know their culture, on occasion alienate the very people they want to win. Unfortunately ... so it will be.

Public prayer before non-believers? Think it over.

Uncomfortable fact! The people you want to reach need to see the Believers lifestyle as different ... Godly. They need to see and feel, the fruit of the Spirit (Gal.5:22) If we as Christians HAVE The Spirit, this shouldn't be hard ... if we haven't the Spirit, (fact) public prayer is not a good substitute, it's only going to confuse and alienate. In my opinion, public prayer is no substitute for a Christ like lifestyle.

But I must defer ... and as I said, a very wise man once said "there is a time for everything." With permission I'll include public prayer.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

  • a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
  • a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
  • a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
  • a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
  • a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
  • a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
  • a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

~ Ecclesiastes 3:1-8